Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

You're My #1

     I can't sleep :( It's weird that I was able to fall asleep effortlessly for the past week, but I slept in on Saturday and now I'm wide-awake. It's 3:50am. Thing is, this isn't new for me, I've habitually stayed up late since I was in the age of single-digits.

     Part of why I can't sleep is because I feel like I have unfinished business. And today you'll get to hear the story of "#1 Brazilian".

     Our history dates back to September 2007 - Frosh! I was waiting for my bus to commute home on the first night of Frosh since my friend who was my ride decided she'd rather stay at the rez of some new friends she made. #1 Brazilian was at the bus stop as well. I don't remember how we started talking, but it was easy and fun because of the openess Frosh creates, and novelty of the university experience we anticipated days ahead.

     We rode the bus home together, and I figured that would be the first and last time I'd see this friend of mine; I thought nothing of it.

     During the first week we had a philosophy class together, took the bus at the same time 3 mornings a week, AND, randomly rented lockers right beside each other. As you can probably guess, with time and increased positive interactions, #1 Brazilian grew on me in a big way - there wasn't anything I didn't admire about him. I remember we'd rub each other's hands to keep each other warm as we'd wait for the bus; our knees would touch in philosophy class (and he would always save a spot for me); laughing at the silliest things, I always had a good time with him.

     The problem with me was that although I was in university, my mind was still in high school mode where I wanted everything to move quickly. I thought that if chemistry was present, one person should obviously ask the other person out, you date for 4 years, then you get married, have kids, have a joyful career and happily ever after. Although I didn't tell him what was my philosophy at the time, I likely came on too strong through my actions.

     Second semester we didn't have any classes together, and I hardly saw him while waiting for the bus - this forced me to cool down (even though I imagined a whole bunch of extravagant scenarios over the break where he'd ask me to be his girlfriend). #1 Brazilian found his niche, and group of friends who shared that niche.  We didn't really even talk that much.

     To be honest, I was slightly resentful because I really thought we had a connection, I thought he could feel it. I was incredibly attracted to him in more ways than one.  I didn't see him at all for 2 yrs, until last week, for a brief moment. Then all of the feelings came back.

     Last night I had a very intense dream, the details of which I cannot disclose ;) I woke up wishing that dream was real life. And now I can't stop thinking about him, the dream, and the good memories of first year.

     The knowledge that I'm graduating after this semester is liberating, but also carries some pressure. I'll be meeting new people, learning new things, and encountering new experiences. Which empowers me to decide what I want to leave as the last impression on my current relationships - of particular relevance, the one with #1 Brazilian.

     I've decided that I'm going to tell him that I had a crush on him. Naw, that sounds too high school. I think instead I'll say I had a strong attraction to him since first year, and over time it has intensified and deepened? I was trying to be sensual...that's never been my strong suit though! Anyways, I'll work on my script.

     Why is doing this so important to me? Because who knows, maybe he feels the same way. If not, I'm probably not going to bump into him as often afterwards, so I'll only feel embarrassed for that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment